Abdorrahman Boroumand Center

for Human Rights in Iran

Omid, a memorial in defense of human rights in Iran
One Person’s Story

Safar Ali Qoraishvandi


Nationality: Iran
Religion: Non-Believer
Civil Status: Married


Date of Killing: December 25, 1983
Location of Killing: Masjed Soleyman, Khuzestan Province, Iran
Mode of Killing: Shooting
Charges: Unknown charge

About this Case

Information about Mr. Safar’ali Qoraishvandi, son of Amirqoli, is based on an electronic form and several emails sent to Omid by a person familiar with his case. According to this information, he was born in Haftkel, Masjed-e Soleiman in 1950. He was a livestock technician working at the Jahad Keshavarzi (Agricultural Jihad) office. After the Revolution, he was detained for few months for his political activities. He was a sympathizer of the Sarbedaran (Ettehadieh Komonist-ha) group.        

The Ettehadieh Komonist-ha was created by exiled opponents of the Pahlavi regime who mostly belonged to the Student Confederation. They followed the teachings of Mao Tse-Tung but did not believe in guerilla warfare. The group became marked by ideological divisions during the period preceding and following the 1979 revolution, which caused it to split into several factions. One of the most important rifts was triggered by the decision of a number of members to take up arms and take over a city in Iran. The uprising plan, devised in the midst of an active and violent anti-communist campaign by the revolutionary Islamic government, split the Ettehadieh in two factions: one believed in the armed movement and the other opposed it.

In the winter of 1982, armed members of the Ettehadieh hid in a forest in the North of Iran (“Jangal” in Farsi) outside the city of Amol. This group, also known as the Jangal Group, was involved in several clashes with the Revolutionary Guards and, ultimately, on January 26, attacked the city of Amol hoping to generate a general uprising. The attempt to seize Amol failed. It is reported that a number of the group’s members, Revolutionary Guards, and civilians were killed during the Amol clash. Subsequently, members of the Ettehadieh, including those who opposed the Amol uprising, were arrested and tried for belonging to the organization and for having participated in the Amol clash. 

Arrest and detention

According to the information sent to Omid, after his participation in Amol clashes, Mr. Safar’ali Qoraishvandi escaped to Kerman, where he was exposed by a relative and arrested after hiding in a house for ten days in 1982. He was transferred to Masjed-e Soleiman. His family could visit him from the bottom of a 4 meters wall weekly. His wife was also able to visit him in person. During one such visitation, she witnessed that two guards were carrying Mr. Qoraishvandi to the visitation place. He was tortured (lashed) so severely that he could not walk. According to this report, he was pressured to confess in a televised show and he had refused.    


No information is available on Safar’ali Qoraishvandi’s trial. According to the information sent to Omid, he was tried at the Islamic Revolutionary Court of Masjed-e Soleiman.  


No information is available on Safar’ali Qoraishvandi’s charges. According to the information sent to Omid, he was charged for participation in armed clashes with security forces.   

The validity of the criminal charges brought against this defendant cannot be ascertained in the absence of the basic guarantees of a fair trial.  

Evidence of guilt

The report of this execution does not contain information regarding the evidence provided against Safar’ali Qoraishvandi.  


No information is available about Safar’ali Qoraishvandi’s defense. According to the information sent to Omid, he was denied the right to access a defense attorney.    


According to the information sent to Omid, Mr. Safar’ali Qoraishvandi was executed in Masjed-e Soleiman on December 25, 1983. A few days later, authorities called and summoned his father-in-law to the court. They informed him of Mr. Qoraishvandi’s execution and gave him an address at a cemetery in Masjed-e Soleiman. They also warned him not to hold any memorial ceremony. When Mr. Qoraishvandi’s mother expressed her feelings, the officials cuffed her hands, tied her feet, taped her mouth, and detained her for several hours. Mr. Qoraishvandi’s house was regularly observed and checked by Revolutionary Guards afterwards. His tomb stone was broken many times, and the family was denied his benefits from the Agricultural Office.        

Correct/ Complete This Entry