Abdorrahman Boroumand Center

for Human Rights in Iran

Omid, a memorial in defense of human rights in Iran
One Person’s Story

Ahmad Reza Sho'a'i Na'ini


Age: 35
Nationality: Iran
Religion: Non-Believer
Civil Status: Married


Date of Killing: September 19, 1985
Location of Killing: Evin Prison, Tehran, Tehran Province, Iran
Mode of Killing: Shooting
Charges: Unknown charge

About this Case

The information about Mr. Ahmad Reza Sho'a'i Na'ini is based on an interview with a person close to him. Mr. Ahmadreza Sho'a'i Na'ini was a member of the Fadaiyan Khalq Organization. During the previous regime, in 1971, he was arrested and condemned to 11 years imprisonment when he was a student in the Technical School of Tehran University. Having spent 7 years in Tehran and Mashhad prisons, he was released from prison. According to the interviewee, during his detention period in Mashhad, he converted three religious students (talabeh) to atheist ideology. This caused the enmity of some religious figures that became influential after the Revolution when he was a prisoner in the Islamic Republic.

The Fadaiyan Khalq Organization, a Marxist Leninist group inspired by the Cuban Revolution and the urban guerilla movements of Latin America, was founded in 1971 by two communist groups opposed to the Pahlavi regime. In 1981, the organization, which had opted for open political and electoral activity after the revolution, split over the critique of the concept of urban guerilla warfare and the support of the Islamic Republic and of the Soviet Union. The Fadaiyan Khalq Minority opposed the Islamic Republic, and though it did not abandon the theory of armed struggle, its activities were mainly limited to the political arena and the labor movement. Following the Mojahedin Khalq Organization’s June 21st declaration of armed struggle, the Fadaiyan announced the organization of combatant cells. However, based on available information, these cells did not become operational. Many of the groups’ members and supporters were arrested and executed in the early 1980’s.

Arrest and detention

Mr. Ahmad Reza Sho'a'i Na'ini was arrested at a disclosed meeting in Shahr-e Ara in Tehran on December 31, 1983. He was detained at Evin prison, Koshu'i school (hall 6, room 90). According to his relatives, his kidneys failed after several days of torture. Consequently, he was taken to the prison hospital for dialysis. A nurse that knew him in the hospital relayed a message to his wife asking her to leave the country as soon as possible.

Mr. Sho'a'i Na'ini was denied the right to have an attorney. His first visitation with his family took place a year after his arrest. In his last visitation, he showed his family members the marks of tortures on his feet and told them that they broke his hands too. During the same visitation, he asked them if they requested for a face-to-face visitation and since their reply was negative, he told them that he would be executed. (Visitations generally took place from behind a glass divider and through a telephone. Face-to-face interviews were rare, and, if without prior request, they could indicate that the prisoner was to be executed.)


No information is available on the defendant’s trial.


No information is available on Mr. Ahmad Reza Sho'a'i Na'ini's charges.

The validity of the criminal charges brought against this defendant cannot be ascertained in the absence of the basic guarantees of a fair trial.

Evidence of guilt

The report of this execution does not contain information regarding the evidence provided against the defendant.


No information is available about his defense.


Mr. Ahmadreza Sho'a'i Na'ini was executed at Evin prison on September 19, 1985. According to his cellmates, he was executed by firing squad. According to his relatives, his body was not returned to his family.

Correct/ Complete This Entry